Four Cheese Herb Potato Bake12 Tomatoes
This cheesy potato bake takes many of our favorite comfort foods: creamy potatoes, melty cheese, rich butter and decadent sautéed onions. The flavors melt together into a delicious casserole that warms us from the inside out. Peeling and slicing the potatoes, and chopping the onions takes a little extra effort, but it is worth it for the homemade goodness that we love.Proper: 12tomatoes_horizontal1
We often tuck this casserole into the oven alongside a roast for Sunday dinner and are rewarded when the whole family cleans their plates and asks for seconds. It’s definitely a favorite at our house!
Cheesy Herb Potato Bake
30 min to prepare; 1 hour to cook; serves 6–8
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded four-cheese Italian blend
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover potatoes with water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Melt butter in a medium-size frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes to soften.
- Whisk flour into butter and vegetables in the skillet; cook until bubbly. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth. Continue heating stirring continuously until thickened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Take pan off the burner, whisk in sour cream until sauce is smooth. Stir in cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Spread potatoes in prepared casserole dish. Pour sauce evenly over potatoes, smoothing top with a rubber spatula.
- Combine dry bread crumbs, Parmesan and parsley in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
- Place casserole in preheated oven. Bake for about 1 hour or until mixture is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Let casserole sit for 15 minutes to set up before serving.