Chicken in Waffles12 Tomatoes
We’ve all heard of chicken and waffles, but how about chicken in waffles? That’s right. We took that classic combo and joined them in one cohesive delicious package. And when that crispy chicken is in the waffle, it means you get a whole lot of flavor in every single bite.
We’re going to be making this every single time we have leftover fried chicken. All you have to do is whisk up a quick cornmeal waffle batter, fold in some already cooked crispy chicken, and let the waffle maker do the work. Top these with a little bacon and green onion, and some butter and hot maple syrup and you’re good to go for breakfast, dinner, or a scrumptious late night snack.Proper: 12tomatoes_horizontal1
Chicken in Waffles
30min to prepare; serves 4–6
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/8 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup leftover fried chicken, chopped
- maple syrup and butter, for serving
- Heat a waffle iron on medium and grease with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and then whisk in buttermilk and melted butter until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture and whisk until smooth. Fold in chopped chicken.
- Add 2/3 cup of the batter to each quadrant of the waffle iron and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes. Serve with butter and maple syrup. Enjoy!